Coffee has many names. And as for inspiration in this topic, it’s best to turn to a reliable source, which is sunny Italy. So today I will show you a recipe for making a classic Italian latte macchiato in your own home. Because who wouldn’t like to change their usual black cup of joe for a large white from time to time?
Latte macchiato – proportions and origin of the name
“Latte macchiato” literally means “stained milk”, which comes from the coffee stain that forms on the milk after pouring in a portion of espresso. What’s more, the name perfectly illustrates the proportions between coffee and milk, with a definite dominance of the latter. Due to the large amount of milk, the beverage is extremely delicate and velvety. In addition, the ingredients of latte macchiato create three fancy layers (hot milk, espresso and milk froth), which in a tall glass look extremely impressive and should be mixed just before drinking. That’s why coffee is served with long spoons.
An ocean of milk
As I mentioned, the obligatory ingredient for a latte macchiato is milk… lots of milk that gives the coffee the subtle sweetness and a velvety texture. But to get an attractive layer of fluffy milk foam, you will need some equipment for frothing milk. You can use a manual frother, extremely easy to use, and get a really great effect. A few moves and magic happens – homemade latte macchiato will taste perfect! Remember that the addition of milk slightly weakens the absorption of caffeine from coffee, which is why you can also let yourself enjoy this beverage later in the day.
Still, milk is not the most important thing in this story. The key to success is intense espresso, which determines the power, aroma and sharpness of the entire beverage. You can easily sense the grains’ freshness, proper roast or grinding quality. So don’t skimp on good coffee!
Latte macchiato – how to make coffee that is full of flavor and sweetness?
Nutty, caramel, cinnamon, chocolate and many other flavors blend in perfectly with the milky latte macchiato. Natural syrups will make your coffee taste different every time and become a sweet beverage that can successfully replace a dessert.
Now let’s get down to action!
How to make latte macchiato at home? Here is a simple recipe:
Ingredients (1 serving):
- ½ cup (125 ml) of 2% or 3.2% milk
- 1-2 tablespoons of your favorite syrup (optional)
- cinnamon, cocoa (optional)
- Add one or two tablespoons of your favorite syrup to the tall glass (optional).
- Heat the milk slightly (it must be definitely cooler than coffee) and froth it with a milk frother.
- Pour the frothed milk into a prepared glass (you can leave a spoonful of foam to cover the stain after adding coffee) and wait about a minute for the milk to separate.
- Gently pour hot espresso into the milk down the side of the glass or spoon and add the rest of the foam.
- You can top it with sprinkled cinnamon or cocoa.
Test this recipe for homemade latte macchiato and let me know if you managed to get the perfect layers. Good luck and have a sunny day!